Tuesday, August 08, 2006
Hurtful Job Interview... :_(
Just as I thought I would be fine... I received a phonecall yesterday from one of the recruitment agencies, arranging for an interview today.
So, I went down with some hope that they can help me arrange for job interview with the hiring company. I went and did some personality tests before the supposed boss of the agency came to interview me.
At the start of the interview, he said a statement point-blank at me - that I lack discipline because I keep changing jobs. (Felt puzzled. If you think I am not disciplined, why call me up for interview in the first place? To ridicule me?) Well, I know I have been changing jobs but I wasn't ready for this kinda remarks. I felt embarassed and hurt. I replied that after going 1 big round, I have realised my interest in management area and would like to make a come-back.
The interviewer then said "Why don't you pay me to do something I like? There is no such thing as doing thing u like in a job becoz people pay you to do things u dun like." True. You can't have 100% enjoyment in a job but at least, it should be your area of interest, isn't it? I questioned about his interest and he said he likes running. Then I replied "Why don't u go run or do something you like instead of doing recruitment since you don't enjoy it?"
At the end of the interview, he said he will try to see if I can fit into any job he has on-hand. Sounds difficult right? After all that he has said...
Although I am mad with his comments, after reflecting through, what he said is true. I have been job-hopping. How am I going to convince my future employer that I'll stay on? How do I get buy-in from my future employer?
I think I have really screwed up my entire career... :S
WsPinG posted at 4:40 PM
said
I am shocked anyone can be so RUDE. It is not normally Singaporean is it? I have lost touch with the Singaporean attitude. But hey you know, he is perhaps doing you a favour by being so honest with you. It is not the end of your career - dun let his crude/uncut comments get to ya. It is just one perspective - his. Press on. There will be a way out....
8/8/06 9:08 PM
said
on re-reading his (the interviewer's) comments, i feel he is screwed up himself. he is unhappy with his own job so he has to make everyone else think there is no job where one can be happy. it is not true that we cannot be paid to do something we like. maybe he admires your guts to try and is jealous of your courage to try. wat an ass! if i were u, i would take the objective part of his comments (not 100% though) and relegate the rest to the junk pile, where the likes of him belong. honestly.
8/8/06 9:12 PM
JW said
sounds the same as my interview...
11/8/06 9:32 PM